The bed is dented from your dreams.
High thread sateen
bears the markers.
Were you starkers?
Tugging at the crumpled edges,
Smooth the bedding
You know your wife would be appalled
seen in the Mall,
when you’re shopping.
Grace is at the bar tonight and offering the minute poem for us to get our teeth into. (https://dversepoets.com/2022/01/27/poetry-form-the-minute-poem/) I found the strict syllable count quite tricky, and hope the narrative (albeit very daft) of the poem remains intact .
‘The Minute Poem is a 60 syllable verse form, one syllable for each second in a minute. The theme should be an event that is over and done completely, as in a minute. Since the dominant line is short the effect is likely humorous, whimsical or semi-serious. It was created by Verna Lee Hinegardner, once poet laureate of Arkansas.
The elements of the Minute Poem are:
- narrative poetry.
- a 12 line poem made up of 3 quatrains. (3 of 4-line stanzas)
- syllabic, 8-4-4-4 8-4-4-4 8-4-4-4 (First line has 8 syllables of each stanza. Remaining lines has 4 syllables in each stanza)
- rhymed, rhyme scheme of aabb ccdd eeff.
- description of a finished event (preferably something done is 60 seconds).
- is best suited to light verse, likely humorous, whimsical or semi-serious.’